Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Doorbell circuit

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner electric-ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2001
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know modern signal (Class 2) transformers are supposed to be thermally protected, but have any of you ever heard of doorbell circuit wiring overheating and causing a fire?

    Do you think this would be possible if the pushbutton stuck in the "on" position?

    Ed

  2. #2
    Inactive Member electricguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2003
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A few years ago I was at a friends house that was getting an inside paint job. After that I noticed that the door chime never worked. Last week I was asked If i could look at it. Some one had rewired the xformer to the gong and it was permanently energized. the gong was ceased and the xformer was still working when i used the back door push button and properly wired the xformer.I did not noticed if the xformer was in thermal overload all these years.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Ellement's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2003
    Posts
    53
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen the inexpensive plastic dual solenoid door chime melted in the casing as a result of the doorbell button sticking and overheating the solenoid to the point it eventually opens the winding, and the circuit.
    Clients have reported smelling something burning for hours prior to the solenoid opening.
    I have seen this in 5 or 6 different situations, and if I remember correctly the transformers were all still working.
    I wonder if the transformer is mounted in an unheated garage area or a heated area it would affect the thermal protection of the transformer?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member twh's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    93
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had a similar discussion with a couple contractors who have been in the business since the sixties. There were no known problems with the old bell wire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •